WombatRPGs Home Forum Index Downloads & Games Arcade

Changing the Extra Font Glyphs, Splash Screens, and Icon

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    WombatRPGs - Forum Index -> Help and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psy_wombats
Founder

Joined on: 02 Apr 2006

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Changing the Extra Font Glyphs, Splash Screens, and Icon Reply with quote

So, the special symbols... When you type '$' followed by any letter from an upper case A to a lower case Z, you'll call a special character from the file EXFONT.bmp, hidden not-so-deep inside the RM2K game's executable, RPG_RT.exe. Splash screens are displayed when someone starts your game. Normally there are a bunch of Japanese ones there. And the icon should be obvious. Our objective here is to pull everything out, so you can get at these images. The default ones are kind of crappy.

NEW! You can use this tool to easily edit the glyphs and splash screens and icons: http://www.wombatrpgs.frih.net/phpBB2/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=30
It's a very easy-to-use tool. Simply download, extract, and run the executable. The instructions are provided from there. This literally takes all the work out of it.

OR the old fashioned technical way:
Start by finding a good executable editor. Personally, I use Borland's Resource Workshop, but you can use other programs such as ResHack. Anyway, go into RPR_RT and locate EXFONT.bmp. Now take this file out of the project, as well as the icon.bmp and the splash screens. Should be easy to find.

You can now edit EXFONT.bmp and the others as you please. For Exfont, each character must be 16x16 and $A is the top left, $B to the right, etc. Put whatever you want to use in here. It will show up with the normal font color for your game. That means no colors! The splash screens and icon all must have an 8-bit color palette.

Now simply put the files back into RPG_RT the way you got it in. You may have to delete the old files first. Now have fun with your new symbols!

And if you want to skip the step about extracting EXFONT from RPG_RT, I've attached the default EXFONT I had lying around from the Abyss days.

exfont.bmp
 Description:
This should be put back into RPG_RT once you are done editing it with ResHack or Resource Workshop or something.
 Filesize:  1022 Bytes
 Viewed:  4787 Time(s)

exfont.bmp

Last edited by psy_wombats on Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address
Crenomaster

Joined on: 19 Mar 2008

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or use this custom.

EXFONT.bmp
 Description:
Feel free to use.
 Filesize:  8.37 KB
 Viewed:  4781 Time(s)

EXFONT.bmp

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what do you know... I found the Abyss exfont lying around in an abandoned folder. Not quite as nice as the other set, but I guess some of these are worth mixing in to get the desired characters.

And is that the exfont from Shichimenchouken? I seem to recognize a few of the characters. (And I'm mad now that Shichi was taken off of GGZ without me having a copy on hand!)

EXFONT.BMP
 Description:
Abyss's extra characters.
 Filesize:  8.37 KB
 Viewed:  4777 Time(s)

EXFONT.BMP

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address
Crenomaster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually took that EXFONT from Dragon Warrior IV: Renaissance. And that Shichimenchouken... I remember that name, it was on that Dragon Warrior IV fangame as weapon....
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Brasington Lane made both games, so that's to be expected. Indogutsu and Felix Trapper make most of the very awesome games around... Shichimenchouken was an Edo-typed RPG that was only on GGZ for a few months. It was discontinued a while back, and then removed.
RAGNAROK
Elite

Joined on: 07 Jan 2007

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do you need reshack and borlandand the other thngs? couldn't you just make a new bmp and sae it with the same name or am i just being stupid?
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is the bitmap isn't located in a folder or anything. It's physically INSIDE rpg_rt.exe. There's no way to access it without extracting it again with a resource editor. You're reverse-engineering RM2K. And there's a lot of icons, splash screens, and string tables in there you can edit too.
RAGNAROK
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh... do you have to pay for reshack and ect.
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's free. I like Resource Workshop better, but of course that one is for a cost. I bought their whole C and C++ suite, and that was bundled, so... But ResHack should work fine.
RAGNAROK
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i'll get reshack and download textrpg and i'll hve fun on my windows for the res of the day.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psy, you're right. Indogutsu and Felix made
awesome games, but i am sad now because their Dragon Warrior IV: Renaissance.. I haven't heard anything new from it! Crying or Very sad
It's so great game... (Though its hero, Isod Mackelrain is useless jerk.)
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's the point. "Here lies Izod." A classic indeed.
Crenomaster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isod is stupid but no more when get Potenza's tools, still he is useless because i think RPG's hero should know at least bit magic skill.

This will happen in real life....
Or in game.

Here lies Crenomaster.png
 Description:
R.I.P
 Filesize:  4.99 KB
 Viewed:  4759 Time(s)

Here lies Crenomaster.png

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic is nice, but it only really works for some people. You can always have the one hero that has 0 MP but very good physical skills. Now that would be fun. And are they still actively developing Dragon Warrior? Actually, I haven't heard from Brasington in ages...
bob_esc
Legend

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these well known RM2k makers? Or what?
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE best. No, seriously. What Don and Stifu are to the actual coding of RM2K, Brasington Lane is to the games. They made Shichimenchouken, Dragon Warrior Renaissance, etc... And they have Ragnarosen! Whose music rules!
RAGNAROK
Elite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here lies crenomaster! hahaha funny ff1 haha

and i almost finishedmy exfont! i have a sword, shield, helmet, armour, glove, and ring!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psy_wombats wrote:
Magic is nice, but it only really works for some people. You can always have the one hero that has 0 MP but very good physical skills. Now that would be fun. And are they still actively developing Dragon Warrior? Actually, I haven't heard from Brasington in ages...

Slowly, because Indogutsu's hard drive crashed.
But DW4R was safe, though now developing is sloooooooooow......
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, doesn't look like much is happening except on their message board... (http://members5.boardhost.com/kanjispace/
)And of course Felix and Indogutsu are part of Frontiers Extreme, which is fairly recent. Tried that one?

Nice, can't say I've played it much.
psy_wombats
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modified for use with the new tool...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    WombatRPGs - Forum Index -> Help and Support All times are GMT
You are on page 1 out of 1

Go To Forum: